KDE 4/Plasma system tray not displaying applications, notifications appearing twice

October 18, 2014

So I was trying to get RSIBreak working on my machine today, and for some reason it simply wasn’t displaying an icon in the Plasma system tray as it was meant to.

It took some searching around, but eventually I came across a comment on a KDE bug report that had the answer.

I opened up ~/.kde/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc, searched for “systemtray“, and lo and behold, there were two Containments, both using the systemtray plugin. It seems that at some point during the history of my KDE installation, I ended up with two system trays, just with one that wasn’t visible.

After running kquitapp plasma to kill the desktop, I removed the first systemtray entry (I made an educated guess and decided that the first one was probably the one I didn’t want any more), saved the file and restarted Plasma.

Suddenly, not only did RSIBreak appear in my system tray, but so did a couple of other applications which I forgot I had installed. This also fixed the problem I was having with all KDE notifications appearing on screen twice, which was really rather annoying and I’m not sure how I coped with it for so long…

Advertisements

The r8169 driver and mysterious network problems

October 18, 2014

A few months ago, a friend of mine was having a problem. When he hooked up his Toshiba laptop to the Ethernet port in his bedroom, it would work under Windows, but not under Linux. When he hooked it up to the port in the room next door, it would work under both.

I headed over with my Samsung Ultrabook, and sure enough – it worked fine under Windows, but not Linux, while the room next door worked under both.

As it turns out, both our laptops used Realtek RTL8168-series Ethernet controllers, which are normally handled just fine by the r8169 driver, which can be found in the kernel mainline. However, Realtek also releases a r8168 driver (available in Debian as r8168-dkms). Upon installing that, everything worked fine.

(At some point I should probably go back and figure out why it didn’t work under r8169 so I can file a bug…)